Friday, June 15, 2012

Day 11: The final chapter of this incredible journey consisted of a long day of travel. We awoke early at our comfortable Ibis hotel in Milan and made the quick drive to the airport. We said our good-byes to Elsa, her mother and family friend El-el as they continued their adventures in Europe with some relatives in France. The flight from Milan to Atlanta was a little more grueling on the way home. 10 hours crammed in a small seat isn’t the most fun, but it gave me time to reflect on such a fabulous trip. Firstly, having the opportunity to gain such a rich cultural experience – roaming through ruins that are older than our country, eating new foods, listening to other languages – was priceless. Secondly, playing volleyball in a different country, being ambassadors of the United States, and competing against a different system was exhilarating and really great for the future lobos. I am so glad I got to share this experience with my lobo family before my time at UNM comes to a close. I am so thankful for all the hard work, dedication and passion every one – coaches, administrators, players, family and fans – put into making this trip a reality. I am going to miss Albuquerque and Johnson Center, but will always know I can call it home. Kelly Williamson #13

No comments:

Post a Comment